Thursday, May 31, 2007

Talk About a Wake-Up Call

Coming home after a twelve hour day, I settled in to check email and do some blogging. I was surprised (and somewhat stung) by the following comment left on yesterday's post:

Kiki said...

I WAS ROUTED HERE THROUGH YOUR WIFES BLOG AT ZAADZ.COM. I HAVE NOTICED THAT YOU BOTH LIKE TO BLOG ABOUT ALL YOUR "ACTS OF GOODNESS" AND HUMANITARIAN. UNFORTUNATELY I COULDN'T HELP BUT NOTICE A SORT OF "STUCK UP" ATTITUDE YOU BOTH HAVE. LIKE YOU NEED A CONSTANT PAT ON THE BACK FROM ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN. IN A SENSE I FEEL VERY BADLY FOR THE TWO. YOUR POINT OF VIEWS ARE MADE TO BE THE ONLY POINT OF VIEW AND IF YOU DISAGREE WITH OTHERS THAT MAKES THEM WRONG??? UM, HELLO. WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO WHAT WE CALL "OUR OPINION". HOW IRONIC THAT YOU BOTH HAVE THIS MADE UP AILMENT (MCS). AREN'T A LOT OF ILLNESSES HEREDITARY? DID YOU MARRY YOUR SISTER. FOR YOU TO WANT TO PROTEST AGAINST PERFUME/COLOGNE. AND TO STEREOTYPE PUERTO RICANS AS PEOPLE WHO WEAR TOO MUCH PERFUME. DID YOU EVER THINK THAT MAYBE YOUR COWORKERS DON'T LIKE THE WAY YOU SMELL OR LOOK OR WORK - YET THEY DO NOT CAMPAIGN TO STOP YOU FROM YOUR FREEDOMS? YOU REALLY NEED TO STOP LOOKING AT THE WORLD FROM ONLY YOUR WORLD. STOP THINKING YOU ARE DOING SO MUCH FOR OTHER PEOPLE WHEN REALLY IT SEEMS AS THOUGH ALL YOU NEED IS A HIGH FIVE.

I felt it was only necessary to comment in response, and I will share it here, as well:

Keith, RN said...

Wow, Kiki. That is certainly blunt and to the point, and generally unkind in tone. I always like to try for "radical honesty with compassion" but you seem to have skimped on the compassion. And I guess using all capital letters is supposed to be akin to shouting from the rooftops.

We all see the world through our own lens, and that does have its negative and positive sides, of course. While your words have a sting, I'll try to take them in and see if there are aspects that ring true and can be integrated into my thinking and acting in the world.

As for a "made up ailment", it is very real for us, and no, I did not marry my sister. In fact, we both probably have MCS because we were both poisoned by radon and other environmental irritants when we lived as newlyweds in a very old house.

Overall, your comment's lack of kindness and compassion is what most strikes me. While it will certainly engender a great deal of self analysis, it also makes me wonder what type of person you are, what good you do in the world, and how you impact others' lives for the better. I will look for you on Zaadz.com and try to ascertain the answers to my questions.

In the end, I have to thank you for this gift, even though it is delivered with emotional daggers.

I wish you peace and kindness, even when you cannot wish the same on others.

Post a Comment