Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Just One Victory

"I'm just calling to let you know that everything is going really well," she says over the phone.

"That's wonderful," I respond, smiling into the receiver. "You've been doing OK with the meds, the treatment, and all the bloodwork?"

"Yeah, I'm so encouraged. The doctor says that I'm doing great, and I can tell he's telling the truth. I don't have that pressure in my liver anymore, and all the side effects have gone away."

"Is there anything you need right now?" I ask.

"No. I just wanted to let you know I'm fine, and I'll see you next week."

"Wow," I said. "I'm so proud of you. Have a good week and I'll see you next Wednesday, OK?"

"OK. Bye, and thanks for everything." She hangs up.

I sit at my desk, stunned. Those types of calls are few and far between but the afterglow will last for hours, if not days. Just one victory can carry one a long way through the maelstrom, and I count myself lucky today.

No comments: