Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Seven Years of Digital Doorway

Well, it may seem like a blink of an eye at times, but Digital Doorway has been alive and well for seven years today, born from a simple suggestion by my prescient brother as we sat in front of the woodstove on a snowy New England night. I can hardly believe that so much time has passed since that January day when I dived headfirst into the blogging world with no idea of where I was going or, honestly, what I was doing.

When Digital Doorway launched, it was not clear to me that it would be a blog mostly about nursing. Although my online moniker at the time was indeed "Nurse Keith", I had no notion of branding, hadn't heard of SEO (Search Engine Optimization), and the blogosphere was an enormous and cavernous unknown.

Over time, Digital Doorway began to distill itself into a somewhat more cohesive entity, and 1520 posts later, it has become one of the more well-known blogs in the nursing blogosphere,. Yes, it's garnered a fair amount of attention and notoriety over time, although it's still somewhat small potatoes compared to the blogging giants out there. (You know who you are!)

Back in the day, I didn't know about keywords and never gave much thought to such things. In all actuality, I still don't write my posts with keywords in mind, and I just let my blog's relative influence online do the job. However, with hundreds of backlinks that point here to Digital Doorway, it's a given that my writing will have a moderate audience out there in blogland. That said, with my new mentors, colleagues and friends over at RN.FM Radio, keywords, SEO and such animals are now making their way into my lexicon and writing practice, and as we grow RN.FM Radio and its cousin LLC, Unbound Media Group, our presence online as coaches, bloggers and nurse entrepreneurs is sure to grow. And no doubt that Digital Doorway will itself benefit from that vertical and horizontal expansion.

As NurseKeith.com continues its slow and steady launch, Digital Doorway is becoming the repository of much more focused thoughts on nursing, the profession's present and future, new books on nursing. and the impact that coaching can have on nurses' lives, among other topics of note. I look forward to continuing to deliver quality content that's informative, timely, and easy to read (and perhaps periodically entertaining).

Thank you for supporting Digital Doorway. Thanks for reading, thanks for the many comments, for following me on Facebook and Twitter, and for the encouraging words I've received since launching NurseKeith.com.

Yes, it's been a long, strange trip, and I have a feeling 2012 will be no different. Come along for the ride, and let's see what the next seven years brings!

No comments: