Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers Day

Many wishes for a very happy Mothers Day to everyone who has ever been a mother, had a mother, or provided mothering to another person or animal.

While Mothers Day does indeed conjure expected and quintessential visions of motherhood, there are many forms of mothering and many kinds of mothers, and I want to offer a friendly and appreciative nod to anyone who sees themselves as a mother of any kind.

There are birth mothers, stepmothers, adopted mothers, those who mother injured animals, and men who mother their children. It's almost impossible to list all of those connected with mothering, but suffice it to say that this day recognizes the essence of motherhood and mothering, and I give thanks for my mother, my stepmother, my mother-in-law, my deceased grandmothers, my wife, and all of those who have mothered me in so many ways over the years.

Happy Mothers Day to all.

No comments: