Monday, June 01, 2009

Surviving Nursing School

Today I met with a new friend who just finished his first year of nursing school. Listening to his (almost universal) story of the travails of nursing education, my mind wanders back to just how difficult it all was, even as the rose-colored glasses of time filter out the suffering that such an experience entailed.

It's funny how one cannot altogether remember pain. Even women who have been through childbirth often say that they know it was the most painful experience of their lives, but they simply can't conjure up the intensity of the moment. The human brain and body are so self-protective. We easily allow the vicissitudes of life to be covered over with the mental cobwebs of forgetfulness, and I guess that's a good thing.

So, back to nursing school. Why do nursing professors so often make it a living hell? Why does it have to feel like boot camp? If nurses still eat their young, is it assumed that it's best to prepare nursing students for their eventual consumption by roasting them alive as they're educated?

Even though I can't remember my specific complaints about nursing school (and there were two different schools through which I ushered myself), it was indeed a painstaking experience peppered with struggle and angst (especially as an Associate Degree candidate).

All nursing students have my sympathy as they ride the waves of nursing education, often faced with jaded professors and clinical preceptors. Still, there are always gems amidst the stress and heartache, and there were several educators for whom I had the highest esteem and regard.

Yes, we are the most trusted and respected professionals in America, but the process of becoming a nurse can often be rather difficult and distasteful. As Brad Roberts of the Crash Test Dummies once sang: "It's not as bad as eating one's own liver, but I'd like to think that there are better methods."

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Keith,
Sad to say there are nurses still chewing the green nurses to bits. Unfortunately there is nothing nursing school can do to prepare them for that!

Unknown said...

It sounds like a rough journey, but the stories you hear afterward make it sound like it is worthwhile. I am not surprised that school is that tough, I mean, its a demanding job, so they need to be prepared.

Marnie Elizabeth said...

I'm just finishing my first year of nursing school. It's been one of the hardest years of my life. But not in the way I expected. I don't think nursing school in itself is that challenging. It's the culture of nursing school that I've struggled with. You are owned. Every last detail, to the way you wear your hair, is under scrutiny. I've always been extremely independent and assertive, so it has been quite the adjustment!

Here's my blog about it:
http://www.wisdomtowatchoutfor.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

nursing school is abuse. I can't sugar coat it, I just can't. I realize you just can't have type of self esteem issues to get through nursing school. I guess they are setting you up to a lot of real life nursing.. and the whole nature and abuse of nursing. These instructors are just treating us the way they been treated for years. I'm out of this nursing thing.. i regret going to nursing school.. im moving on and finishing my degree in engineering. I should have never left that for this so call "profession". I got much more respect and if i studied hard i was guaranteed to pass. It was fair and built on hard work. It wasn't based on poltics or someone just out to make your life a living hell because they feel so bad about themseleves like nursing school is.
Good luck to all... I'm happy I'm out of this hell in exactly 5 weeks.

Nursing Programs said...

It sounds like a rough journey, but the stories you hear afterward make it sound like it is worthwhile.

Student of Canadian college

nurses continuing education said...

I think the hardships during your nursing study or even in other medical courses prepare you for whatever disgrace or pain you'll encounter with some of your future patients. And even if you hate it, you'll soon realize that it ads up to your pride being a nursing professional.

norvasc 5 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Personal Support Worker Course said...

There are a lot of negative points of this profession but still a lot of positive things are also there causing the nursing courses to be joined by a lot of people. I have faced many negative things related to nursing. Even though I can't remember my specific complaints about nursing school, it was indeed a painstaking experience peppered with struggle and angst.