Monday, April 10, 2006

Monday Morning Meditation

Sitting at the keyboard this Monday morning, the desire is to rise above the end-of-the-weekend-blues, embracing the week with open mind. When the calls to reenter the bed's warm cocoon are subsumed by the responsibility of the working week's commitments, the next best thing seems to revolve around the acceptance of what is, and the notion of seizing what life has offered.

Even as I make my lunch, pack my bag, clip on my beeper, and check my day's appointments on my Palm Pilot, I begin to tense up in anticipation of what could be seen as the onslaught of the day. Rather than being an onslaught, why can't it be a challenge, a gift, a call to service? Perhaps knowing that I won't return home for 14 hours makes my Mondays more difficult to face. But today, knowing that the semester of teaching will end in five weeks, I recognize that many hours usually spent preparing lectures and reviewing texts will soon be freed from the shackles of extracurricular responsiblity.

John Lennon once said, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." I'll add that life is what happens whether you live in dread or wide-eyed wonder. How can I choose anything but the latter?

No comments: