Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Nurse Laid Low

Alas, a sick day for the dedicated nurse. Calling in sick is always fraught with worries: Will my colleagues be overburdened while covering for me? Did I forget some earth-shatteringly important appointment? Will my voicemail-box be full when I return to work tomorrow?

Nonetheless, I must go to school tonight and deliver some semblance of an educational experience for my students, sore throat be damned! I think I'll eschew the usual lecture for small-group collaboration.....Hmmm.

So here I am, home on a rainy and cloudy day, snuggled in a blanket in the living room. Sleep is a useless endeavor as the guys from the heating company install a new $5000 furnace in our basement, banging away like there's no tomorrow. The old furnace came within a hair of exploding (really!) so we are happy to spend many thousands to avoid untimely deaths. (As Mark Twain once said, "Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated".)

3 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

The first day back after a sick day or two was always hairy for me too. And we're still recovering from a $4000 (almost) air conditioner.

swamp4me said...

Take care of that throat! Back in my teaching days the thought of taking a sick day terrified me. What would await me when I returned? Would the sub make the kids do the work I had left for them or would the day be a total waste? Yikes!! It's a crazy world we live in when we feel we can't take a day off to take care of ourselves...

Anonymous said...

think of it this way: getting sick is your body's way of telling you YOU WORK TOO DANG HARD and to take some down-time. So I hope you're listening to what your body has to say and stop worrying about things you cannot control.