Your nursing career is yours to create, and every nurse’s path can be unique, innovative, and idiosyncratic with proper care. At the same time, your many obligations and responsibilities can steer you away from your uniqueness and leave you in a rut of choosing the path of least resistance. There are many strategies for choosing a career journey that fits your vision of who you want to be as a healthcare professional, and it’s worth exploring those strategies for the ones that can most readily move you forward.
Thoughtfully Assess Your Career
- Looking back, how and why did you make certain choices?
- Did you take a med-surg job right out of school because everyone said you should, even though it went against every fiber of your being?
- Was workplace bullying something you tolerated because you didn’t think you had another choice?
- Was your normal modus operandi to accept imperfect positions out of fear of not being offered anything better?
- Did you avoid going to back school because you heard colleagues complaining how some nurse who pursued her MSN thought she was better than everyone?
- Are you in the wrong specialty or working with the wrong patient population?
- Would you prefer to be in a completely non-clinical role or start your own business?
- What skills, knowledge, and experiences do you most value?
- What are your greatest gifts, and have you manifested them in your career?
Make a Plan
A Creative Career Trajectory