Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Dance of Sudden Loss and Grief

Today I am reeling from devastating news of the sudden and tragic death of a very dear friend. Death frequently seems to visit when least expected, and this lack of ability to prepare for loss is one of the factors that can make it so difficult to cope when death pays a call.

Eight years ago, another dear friend died unjustly at the hands of the police, followed by the death of my great-aunt, my beloved dog, and my step-father. Digesting this recent history, one of my personal themes for the majority of the last decade has been recovery from grief and traumatic loss.

Now with another friend suddenly gone, the list of losses suffered over this last decade has lengthened, and my personal resiliency vis-a-vis grief and loss is challenged once again. In one respect, I am at a loss for words, but on the other hand I have a deep need to reach out across the ethers and ask for support and prayers.

Death has visited our house, and we dance the dance of grief once again.

8 comments:

Kringle said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.. perhaps the good Lord led me here today.. I will say a prayer for you. I remember after the death of my brother that despite all the faith in the world, sometimes the gentle "why's" come knocking at our door. ... I pray you can remember that which you celebrate of your friend... Prayers to you
Kringle

Keith "Nurse Keith" Carlson, RN, BSN, NC-BC said...

Thank you so much for your kindness. We will certainly celebrate our friend, and we greatly appreciate your prayers.

Nancy Bea Miller said...

So sorry to hear this! Hope you guys are doing okay. Big hugs across the web...xox

Ken Carlson said...

Much love and support from your brother during this difficult time. Let me know whatever I can do to help Keith.

Cosmetic Surgery Brazil said...

o its really sad to listen about it my all best wishes are for all of you.

Amy said...

Keith,
I am sorry to hear about your loss.Please accept my condolences. On a different note, we had a pediatric flu clinic at the middle school last week.It went really well. All those drills and your planning paid off. All the best Amy

linda said...

Sogyal Rinpoche's book on Living and Dying helped me cope with all kinds of death (and even a bit of life). One of the best books ever.

mens health said...

so sorry the thing happened ...