Monday, June 25, 2007

Some Questions....

The phone at my desk rings.

"Keith, how much do you know about babies?"

The voice is familiar, but I can't place it. Many of my 85 patients start talking without first saying who is calling, expecting me to recognize their voices.

"Uh, who am I speaking with, please?"

"It's __________. Do you know about babies?"

"Oh, hi! Why do you ask?"

"Well, does someone have alot of stomach pain when they're pregnant?"

"Does this have to do with you?" I ask innocently.

"Yeah. Every time I move from side to side, my stomach hurts and I feel sick. Is that normal?"

"Do you feel nauseous in the mornings? Have you been vomiting?"

"No."

"Do you think you're pregnant?"

"Maybe...."

"Are you peeing alot? Hungry? Gaining weight?"

"Well, I have gained some weight lately," she says hopefully.

"I don't think you're pregnant, but we can do a urine test when you come in. When do you see Dr. ___________?"

"Oh, I have an appointment today at 2:00. Do you think I should tell him about my symptoms?"

"Absolutely. I'll look for you in the waiting room and say hello, OK?"

"OK. Thanks, Keith," she replies. "I just thought I'd call and ask if you knew about babies and stuff like that."

"No problem. I'll see you this afternoon."

"Bye."

1 comment:

Mother Jones RN said...

It's doesn't sound like your work is ever boring:-)