Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Mindfulness Journal: Meditation

Meditation is like watching a riot in my mind. Random thoughts, errant voices, snippets of music---it all rushes into the vacuum created when I close my eyes. At times, a minute or more will go by before I realize I've been sucked into a morass of thought and problem-solving. Then, I have to shake myself loose and start again.

Shunryu Suzuki said that meditation is not about turning off your thoughts. You must simply let the thoughts enter through the front door and exit through the back door without serving them tea. Well, my wholly undisciplined mind not only offers them tea, there's usually breakfast as well. No wonder they stick around.

Yes, there's a riot in my mind, and I guess if I just keep sitting, it will eventually slow to dull roar.
Post a Comment