Thursday, February 09, 2006

Telling It Like It Is

Some of you may have been lucky to hear some of the speeches given at the funeral of Coretta Scott King on Monday. On my way to an early morning appointment with my chiropractor, I was glued to the car radio as Amy Goodman of Democracy Now! played excerpts from speeches by Reverend Dr. Joseph Lowery, Jimmy Carter, Maya Angelou, and Bernice King, the daughter of Martin Luther King, a powerful preacher in her own right who spoke of the cancer of violence which riddles our society. The Huffington Post has highlighted the brilliant audacity and chutzpah of the speakers on that day, especially Reverend Lowery, who lambasted the Bush Administration for their deception, conservative policies, and disingenuous abandonment of people of color. The broadcast on Democracy Now! brought me to my figurative knees, and I sat crying in my car before I entered the chiropractor's office, my outrage and desire for social justice sparked by the powerful words coming over the airwaves.

These are crucial times, dangerous times. We are a culture on a knife's edge, a world overtaken by misdirected anger and growing intolerance. My small part in this struggle for justice seems infinitesimal, but I know that what we each singularly do on the ground is an important piece of the larger picture, even as a tide of brutality and hatred seems to engulf so many around us. We can only stand firm and hold our ground as those waters of anger rise. We will not be drowned.
Post a Comment