Sunday, August 21, 2005

It's the End of Vacation as I Know It....

and I feel fine......

Sunday morning. Breakfast with the visiting boy and his love after an evening of comedy and live performance by many of my son's talented friends. Also a quick visit from my brother and my ever-wonderful niece and nephew. Family, family....

Now that work begins again tomorrow, I must take account of this vacation and reflect upon my time here at home. I'm truly ecstatic that we chose to eschew travel this week and focus here at home. I am also quite content that I struck a good balance between relaxation, reading, writing, chores, biking, housework, taking care of business, and plain old summertime slacking. While we didn't make it to the beach, go camping, or visit museums, I feel thoroughly refreshed and well rested. My greatest accomplishment, personally, was having a hammock nap five or six days out of nine---an admirable track record, although 100% would have been a better statistic in the annals of napdom. Perhaps today I'll add another day to that list of successful naps.

With work less than 24 hours away, I feel my mind slowly making its transition towards that reality. Up until now, I've protected myself from thoughts of work and managed to maintain a buffer between me and that world. Today is the day that I will allow the face of responsibility and wage-earning to begin to insinuate itself ever so gently, so that tomorrow will not be such a shock. "Working for paper and for iron" (to quote Andy Partidge) is the modern equivalent of hunting and gathering. Today I gather my strength and resolve and prepare for re-entry.
Post a Comment