Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Fourth of July Fallout

As I shared in my last post, a conversation which occurred on my friend Anvilcloud's blog was quite interesting. Luckily, some very astute and intelligent individuals chimed in and made the whole thing both entertaining and informative. I learned that some Canadians hold the citizens of the United States in high esteem while simultaneously loathing our government's actions and policies. I also learned first-hand that there really are Americans out there with a "love-it-or-leave-it" attitude which precludes any criticism or discontent from the citizenry. (Since the start of the current war, I have been told to move to France many times by those unhappy with my dissent). I also saw how some Americans like to put aside their criticism on the 4th of July and simply revel in All Things American. While I appreciate all of the above considerations, I also revel in the freedom which I have to voice my dissent at any time of day or night in many different venues, including this one.

I noticed that the ensuing conversation led Anvilcloud to ask some questions about having comments on one's blog, and this has also got me thinking. A fellow blogger warned me early on that having comments can be troublesome, leading one to feel beholden to respond to each and every comment. One must also take into consideration that negative comments may be par for the course, especially if one tends to write about and examine controversial topics.

In my experience, comments left on my blog have always been nothing but a joy. Any comment which is left is immediately and automatically forwarded to my personal email and I am consistently and honestly excited every time I receive notification that a new comment has been left.

Blogging has become a way of life for me, as well as a life-line for my creativity. I've finally found a creative outlet which is immediately gratifying, allowing me a public venue to share my thoughts and experiences, further enjoying the responses which come my way.

For those of you who do indeed comment from time to time, thank you very much for doing so. For those who choose not to comment or have never done so, commenting is welcome but not obligatory. Although you are welcome to comment anonymously, I do prefer signed comments, personally. FYI, a link to my personal email in my profile on the home page of Digital Doorway also allows you, dear Reader, to email me directly rather than comment publicly.

Thus, all forms of contact are welcome, and my experiences of the last six months only reinforce the fact that public comments on my blog are gratefully accepted, as the world wide web was originally conceived to be a public space, and I see Digital Doorway as another space where others can leave their digital mark.
Post a Comment