Monday, May 23, 2005


This morning I realize that emotional resiliency is what I most need to cultivate. A thin emotional skin predisposes one to such unnecessary suffering, and I admire those who have a natural resiliency that allows them to bounce back after stress or upset. That said, being sensitive has its gifts, but there is a line to draw between being compassionately empathetic and being an emotional sponge. I have had this relatively deep level of emotional subjective understanding of others my entire life, and I know that it can easily bring me down. Couple that with endogenous depression, and it is a recipe for a great deal of what some might see as otherwise avoidable suffering.

To any of you who have that natural resiliency, count your blessings. To those of you who do not, let's cultivate resiliency. It is an investment not only in the future, but in the present, as well.
Post a Comment