Sunday, May 01, 2005

Good Morning, Goddess

When I was a nursing student, I had a brief clinical experience in a local nursing home. My patient who I will call W, was a lovely and vibrant woman in her mid-80's who was full of joie de vivre despite being unable to move herself without assistance and being extremely frail and osteoporotic. She had a limited but inspiring group of aphorisms that she liked to spout off at every opportunity. One in particular has always stuck in my memory. She would say, "When you wake up each day, you have a choice. You can either say 'Good morning, God!', or you can say 'Good God, morning?!' It's up to you how you greet each day."

She was right, of course, and I realize how many mornings I think to myself, "Good God, morning?!" as I turn off the alarm clock and shuffle off to the shower. More food for thought as the days roll by. Resenting the sunrise is a mortal loss of opportunity and joy. Welcoming a new day is an embrace. I would like to learn to embrace more and resent less.

Good morning, Goddess.
Post a Comment