Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The Sighs of March

Following some rather balmy weather in the 40's which made many people want to rip off their parkas and roll in the as-yet-snow-covered grass in sweet relief, a raging N'oreaster has rolled across New England today, closing schools and wreaking havoc with the roads. My class at the community college was cancelled tonight, a turn of events which will throw my syllabus off kilter for the rest of the semester. Oh my.

On the bright side, I rolled into the driveway at 5pm rather than my usual 10:30pm on a Tuesday night. Joy. Flowers for Mary for International Women's Day, yet another roaring fire in the woodstove, food in our bellies, beer next to the laptops (don't spill!), and the wind screaming outside as the dogs continue to perfect their Olympic sleeping skills.

What to do with a "free" Tuesday evening, five extra hours of time usually reserved for trying to make sense out of pathophysiology and nursing diagnoses for nurses in their formative stages, my hands covered with chalk and mouth dry from hours of talking?

Well, first, having accomplished that most daily of evening events---namely dinner---blogging is first on the list, as are 30 minutes of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (a re-run of last night's show that we missed), mortgage refinancing homework, tax-related stuff, and maybe then a cup of tea and a treat. We also took time to listen to our new Innocence Mission CD ("Now the Day is Over")---covers and originals done as lullabies---very sweet and restful.

I don't take these hours for granted, and am basking not only in the glow of the fire, but the glow of an extra evening at home with my best friend and favorite canine companions.

Perhaps I will allow myself some time to read---Carlos Fuentes' A New Time for Mexico and The Labyrinth of Solitude by Octavio Paz, have been sitting forlornly on my bed-side table for months as I slowly read them in the most desultory and disrespectful fashion.

Anyway, here arrives yet another late winter evening in which yours truly finds himself afloat in a sea of "what-should-I-do's", the responses being numerous and somewhat overwhelming. That said, one must take at face value one's inner yearnings and seize the moment to tackle those chores or tasks which seem most likely to, 1) bear fruit, 2) be readily accomplished, 3) call out for attention, and 4) will bring some notion of relief or "I'm-so-glad-I-did-that-ness" after its particular denouement.

Now I must turn my attention to those tasks, or perhaps heed the Buddhist saying, "don't just do something, sit there!"
Post a Comment